Honey Baked Lentils
This sweet and savory entree is packed with fiber, protein, and potassium!
Makes 7 servings
- 2 1/3 cups lentils (uncooked, 1 pound)
- bay leaf (1 small, optional)
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup carrots (chopped)
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/2 pound ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon herbs (fresh or dried)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Combine rinsed lentils, bay leaf, and 5 cups water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover tightly and reduce heat. Simmer 30 minutes. Do not drain. After cooking, discard bay leaf.
- Chop onion. Combine onions and carrots with 1 cup water. Add to lentils and stir into a 9x13 baking dish.
- Brown ground beef (if using). Drain and discard fat. Add the meat to the lentil mixture.
- Pour honey over entire casserole.
- Add herbs if desired.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake it for one hour at 350 degrees.
- Replace 1 cup water with 2 Tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon oregano, and 2 cups tomato sauce.
- Omit the ground beef for a meatless meal that is lower in calories and fat.
For nutrition information, please visit Honey Baked Lentils at MyPlate.gov
Have a recipe you'd like to share? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org