Brown Rice Pilaf with Sage, Walnuts and Dried Fruit
October 28, 2022 / 5 mins read
This "Foodie Friday" we're sharing this recipe with dried fruit, sage, and whole grain combined to give a flavor of fall, but you can enjoy it any time of the year!
Makes 8 servings
- canola cooking spray (as needed)
- 1 onion (medium, chopped)
- 1 celery stalk (small, ends trimmed and chopped)
- 2 cups rice (brown, uncooked)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable broth (fat-free, reduced sodium)
- 1/4 cup raisins (dark)
- 1/4 cup apricots (dried, chopped)
- 4 walnuts (1/4 cup, chopped, optional)
- 1 teaspoon sage (dried)
- 2 teaspoons sage (fresh, chopped)
- salt (to taste, optional)
- pepper (to taste, optional)
- Spray the large skillet with canola cooking spray. Heat skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté onion and celery until tender, about 5 minutes. Add brown rice and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add water, broth, raisins, and apricots; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed about 50 minutes.
- Stir in walnuts if desired, sage, salt, and pepper.
- Transfer to serving dish. Garnish with fresh sage and serve immediately.
For nutrition information, please visit Brown Rice Pilaf with Sage, Walnuts, and Dried Fruit at MyPlate.gov
Have a recipe you'd like to share? Send it to email@example.com